I feel like very few, or at least not many of the people of tumblr are aware of what is going on in my home country Hong Kong right now.
You guys gave alot of coverage and support when Scotland was voting for its independance, so I’m hoping you’ll all support the people of Hong Kong as well.
Right now, many of us are in a mass demonstration of pro-democracy against China. But wait a sec, isn’t Hong Kong China? This is a big misconception amongst foreigners, but please, we are far from being similar to China at all.
A little history class: Hong Kong used to be colonized by the British, and before you white-knights begin going all “them damn white racist ppl taking over another asian country” please don’t. We are thankful Britain took us under its wing and instilled in us values that I feel made us what we are today; that is, a democratic people with respect for free speech, amongst many things.
On the other hand, China is communist, with government controlled media and news. Google, instagram, facebook and many tv shows are blocked in China. It really is just a few steps from North Korea imo.
So what’s the problem here? Britain unfortunately had to hand back Hong Kong to China, but one of the requirements is that Hong Kong be allowed to operate as ‘one country two systems’, meaning Hong Kong should be able to have its own democratic government. But China has broken its promise. A while back, China tried to put a mandatory ‘national education’ curriculum in all our primary schools. We all know what that is; a communist brainwashing regime. And now, they have announced that in 2017 Hong Kong will be able to vote for its president; BUT only from 3 candidates hand picked by its PRO-BEIJING legislation.
As you can see, China is trying to takeover completely and turn us into another communist state.
Of course, we have taken to the streets. In a mirror if the Tiananmen protests, students have also stepped up to fight for our rights and our future, albeit in a peaceful protest of course. But the police force who have always been a friend of the people, are now responding with force, something that had never been done before in Hong Kong.
First it was pepperspray, then teargas. Then, armed forces came in qith rubber bullets. They warn they will come out with live ammunition soon if we do not get off the streets but the people continue to sit tight, disrupting businesses China so strive to takeover and make use of. It’s been 2 days now, but the people plan to continue at least till 1st October or even beyond. The significance is that October 1st is China’s National day, not ours, Hong Kong has not been granted it’s own National day.
Please spread the news. This is a country we’re talking about. These are my people.
You can join this event to wear yellow in support of my people on October 1st.
1.) It’s the end of September and the weather has been between 70 - 80 degrees and sunny…? What the hell is this? I hate it. The apartment has been hot the last few days and once again I’ve taken to kicking off the comforter and sleeping on top of the sheets at night. Just last week it was gloomy and coldish. I loved it. I want that weather back, dang it!
2.) This weekend wasn’t the greatest. I’m glad I didn’t have to worry about homework for once, but it went by too fast. Ray was grumpy all day Saturday. Got to the point where I wanted to smack him. He was just tired of dealing with people though, and the heat didn’t help, so I really couldn’t blame him. Sunday was my turn. I was a royal bitch all day because I’ve been getting fed up with the heat too, and with feeling lonely, not having friends/family nearby, and just living with the constant monotony of school/home/homework/eat/sleep/repeat was driving me nuts. Every little thing he did/said annoyed the crap out of me and I almost started an argument. We randomly decided that afternoon to go to a little park in the town he works in just for some fresh air and to get away from the city for a little bit. It helped a lot. We were both in better moods by the time we came home.
We’re not city people and when we’re here too long we want to kill each other and everyone around us. Who knew?
3.) I didn’t realize OUAT premiered the other night. Both The Mindy Project and New Girl premiered already and Supernatural is coming up too. I most likely won’t follow them regularly like I used to. I don’t have satellite/cable and I don’t think I’ll even bother streaming online weekly. I love my shows, but I don’t want to slack on everything else, especially school. I’ll probably catch up when I have free time and don’t have anything better to do. In the meantime I’ll just have to run across a spoiler or two.
4.) Did I mention how hot it’s been? It fucking sucks. I’m sitting here with the fan on high and still practically sweating.
5.) I desperately need my hair cut/trimmed but I have no idea where to go. I don’t want to spend $20+ for a stupid cut, and I need someone who can cut curly hair properly.
6.) I have 2 1/2 hrs. before I need to leave for my next class. I think I’ll go take a nap and then do some homework.
somebody said it
I found Reawakened at the Dollar Store for $4. I got it and have been reading it since. It’s not great or anything, but it’s a nice companion to the show. And it’s been making me want to watch season one all over again, so I’m going to start my OUAT rewatch back up, starting now.
- I’ve already got feels. Kathryn. Dr. Whale. Teeny tiny Henry. Regina/Kathryn friendship.
- The whole “James is a replacement for his twin brother that he never met” storyline was just way too much to handle. It’s throwing more confusing shit on an already confused pile of stuff.
- Troll Rumpel is the best. “Oh dear. Oh dearie, dearie, dear.”
- I miss the Emma/Mary Margaret friendship. Now they have this mother/daughter dynamic and it’s fine and all, but both of them could really just use a friend that they aren’t related to.
- James and his mother are sweet.
- Regina trying to protect Kathryn because she’s her knew friend. :)
- You know, I’ve hated David from the start. He’s just a smarmy bastard. He expects MM to run into his arms after he leaves Kathryn and he truly didn’t see it happening any other way. And he kept pestering her until she gave in. (I’m not saying MM is blameless. It’s half her burden. But he is just so relentless - and sexy - that I can see why she eventually gave in.)
- Emma: “Whyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy?" She’s my spirit animal. I, too, can be bought with donuts.
- God, I miss seeing Jamie Dornan’s sexy face once a week. Thank god he’s on The Fall, ‘cause I am NOT watching Fifty Shades of Creepy Sexual Stalker.
- Snow/Charming annoy me quite a bit these days, but you can definitely see the growing chemistry between Ginnifer Goodwin and Josh Dallas.
- I still can’t believe that Anastasia Griffith (Kathryn) is the sister of Jamie Bamber (Lee Adama on BSG). And I didn’t know either was British. Sexy British family!
- Brian Wankum is the worst name ever. Sorry, dude.
I never understood the whole James/twin brother thing either. I mean, really what was the point?
I miss Emma/Mary Margaret too. And lol @ David being a “smarmy bastard.”
i will never accept the sound of my recorded voice
8.08 was the best
Stop making books into films and start making them into a tv show so we could have a lot more detail to them and they can stick to the book easier.